Founded in 1964, AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national service program that lets citizens make a full-time, one year commitment to fighting poverty by developing sustainable programs in local non-profit organizations. Participants receive a modest living stipend from the Corporation for National and Community Service and are eligible for an education award upon completion of their service year.
NC Campus Compact’s AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as part of the NC Afterschool Corps or the NC Hunger Corps. Both groups support higher education’s community engagement mission and the VISTA mission of fighting poverty. VISTA members are placed on a campus or community host site to leverage resources and develop programs that serve low-income people.
A VISTA assignment can include various roles and activities, depending on the needs of the organization or community:
• Building partnerships with community-based organizations
• Assessing community or organizational needs and assets
• Recruiting and training campus and community volunteers
• Developing systems to manage people, data, and performance
• Creating policies and procedures that increase agency effectiveness
• Supporting citizen and student leadership and participation in service
• Seeking new resources through fund-raising and grant-writing
• Facilitating service-learning placements, community-based research, co-curricular service, and national days of service.
We are now accepting proposals to serve as a host site for the 2022-2023 service year. Learn more!
Initial proposal deadline is January 19, 2022.
Interested in serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA member with our Compact?
See Becoming a VISTA member
Could your campus or non-profit agency benefit from hosting a VISTA member? See Hosting a VISTA member