Our 2016-2017 Year in Review, plus a preview of what’s up next
Now that the academic year is over, it’s time to share our year in review! Some highlights:
- Throughout 2016, the Compact catalyzed non-partisan election engagement efforts across the network, working with the national CEEP project to support student fellows, make mini-grants, and host the NC College Voter Summit.
- At the 2017 NC Presidents Forum, hosted by Chancellor Harold Martin and NC A&T State University, 35 college and university presidents and chancellors explored issues related to equity in higher education.
- We honored 25 student leaders from NC campuses with a Community Impact Award.
- The Compact convened a special event — the Social Change Forum, hosted by Duke University — to explore the higher education intersections of community engagement and social entrepreneurship.
- Our AmeriCorps VISTA program supported 15 #ServiceYear members building capacity of K-12 education, hunger relief, and economic support projects across NC.
- Two new members joined our network: Alamance Community College and the NC Community College System!
View the full Year in Review 2016-2017 (pdf)!
And looking ahead to 2017-2018, please mark your calendars for these events and key program dates, and subscribe to our monthly newsletter for reminders of these and many other opportunities:
- August 1 & August 3 – Summer Network Meetings (for campus liaisons & community engagement staff), hosted by @Pfeiffer University (8/1) & by UNC Pembroke (8/3) – Free but please RSVP by July 17
- September 29 – NC College Voter Summit, hosted by Elon University – for students and fac/staff leading non-partisan, campus-wide civic and election engagement programs.
- November 10-11 – CSNAP Student Conference, hosted by Winston-Salem State University.
- Call for proposals for student-led workshops (8/1 – 9/29)
- Registration open (9/1 – 10/20)
- February 8 – NC Presidents Forum, hosted by Meredith College.
- February 13 – Civic Engagement Institute, hosted by Elon University.
- February 14 – PACE Conference, hosted by Elon University.
- Call for workshop proposals (9/20 – 11/10)
- March 25-28 – 2018 Campus Compact National Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana
- April 11 – National Campus Compact Carnegie Community Engagement Classification Workshop with John Saltmarsh, hosted by UNC Charlotte.
- We kick off a new AmeriCorps VISTA project – the NC Afterschool Corps, which will build the capacity of afterschool programs and strengthen campus-community partnerships.
- Presidential, faculty, and staff awards for outstanding service & engagement:
- Lambert Engaged Leader Award (nominations by NC presidents and chancellors)
- Sigmon Service-Learning Faculty Award (nominations accepted 9/25 – 12/15)
- Civic Engagement Professional of the Year Award (nominations accepted 9/25 – 12/15)
- Student awards for outstanding service & engagement:
We look forward to working with you and your campus in the coming year!